BEIRUT: The Special Tribunal for Lebanon’s defense counsel said Friday Lebanon’s government had failed to provide requested information, criticizing the prosecution’s delay in disclosing material related to the trial.
During a status conference, the defense counsel for Assad Sabra, one of four suspects accused of involvement in the 2005 killing of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, said Lebanon failed to comply with requests for information.
The counsel said that his team has repeatedly sought documents and other information from the government deemed essential for the case.
“The Lebanese government has failed to provide any of the requested information,” the counsel was quoted as saying on the STL’s Twitter feed.
Pre-trial judge Daniel Fransen is presiding over a one-day status conference to discuss preparations for the March 15 trial.
Sabra, along with three other members of Hezbollah, was indicted in June of last year by the U.N.-backed court in the 2005 attack that killed former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
The four men accused by the STL remain at large and have had no contact with the attorneys appointed for them by the court.
At the status conference, the Defense asked Fransen to order Lebanese authorities to provide requested information without delay.