BEIRUT

Lebanon News

No word from Turkey on hostages: Mansour

Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour arrives at the Parliament in Beirut, Wednesday, April 10, 2013. (The Daily Star/Mahmoud Kheir)

BEIRUT: Lebanon has yet to receive positive information from Turkey on the nine Lebanese hostages being held by rebels in Syria, caretaker Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour said Saturday.

“[We have received] no positive information from the Turkish side so far,” Mansour told a local radio station.

“Turkey is not the country linked directly to the kidnapping and it maintains good ties with us,” Mansour added.

Relatives of the hostages have stepped action against Turkish interests in Lebanon in recent days, arguing that Turkey, a major backer of the Syrian Opposition, can help in securing the release of their loved ones.

This week the families held protests near the Turkish Airlines offices in Beirut and threatened to escalate their actions if the state did not put pressure Ankara.

The hostages were captured by Syrian rebels in Aleppo last May on their way back from a religious pilgrimage to Iran.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here