Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 24 APR 2014
04:01 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
18 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Mikati says STL defense team should be given more time
Head of the Defense Office, Francois Roux, speaks before the Appeals Chamber in a  public hearing in Leidschendam, near The Hague, Monday, Oct. 1, 2012. (The Daily Star/STL, HO)
Head of the Defense Office, Francois Roux, speaks before the Appeals Chamber in a public hearing in Leidschendam, near The Hague, Monday, Oct. 1, 2012. (The Daily Star/STL, HO)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: The Special Tribunal for Lebanon's defense team should be given sufficient time to prepare for the trial of the Hezbollah members suspect of involvement in assassination former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, Prime Minister Najib Mikati said Tuesday.

During the meeting with STL defense head Francois Roux, Mikati “stressed on the importance of giving the necessary time for the defense to carry out its duties fully so that the court's work is objective and fair,” the prime minister’s office said.

Roux voiced his satisfaction with regards to the cooperation of the political and judicial authorities in Lebanon.

The lawyer also met with Justice Minister Shakib Qortbawi.

The defense team has asked the tribunal to push back the trial's start day, which is set for March 25, given what the lawyers have said is the prosecution’s failure to disclose all relevant documents crucial to the case.

The attorneys, who were appointed last February to represent Salim Ayyash, Mustafa Badreddine, Hussein Oneissi and Assad Sabra, cited in a statement last month the “continuing non-cooperation of the relevant Lebanese authorities ... and the absence of the accused.”

In a hearing chaired by Pretrial Judge Daniel Fransen last week, the prosecution supported the defense's request to delay the trial date. Fransen said he was not ready to make a decision on the issue but would do so swiftly.

The prosecution said that it would complete disclosure of all documents by March 11 but, following the lead of the defense attorneys, did not suggest an alternative start date.

The proceeding will be held in absentia as the men remain at large.

Hezbollah has repeatedly denied involvement in the case with the party’s secretary general Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah vowing never to hand over the suspects.

The U.N.-backed court was established in 2007 to investigate the 2005 assassination of Hariri. In 2011, the prosecution accused four Hezbollah members of involvement in the killing.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Wednesday, April 23, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS