BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Hezbollah slams Israel's 'global terror campaign' against party

Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem speaks in front of students at the LU in Hadath, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2012. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

BEIRUT: Hezbollah Wednesday accused Israel of running a “global terror campaign” aimed at isolating and cornering the resistance group, a day after Bulgaria accused the party of being behind last year’s bus attack.

“Israel is running a campaign of global terror against Hezbollah in particular because it failed in its aggression and incitement against it as well as failed to find an environment suitable to prevent Hezbollah from moving,” Deputy Secretary-General Sheikh Naim Qassem said.

According to the party’s press office, Qassem also said the Jewish state was “running an international campaign to terrorize people and countries from Hezbollah and to shed a light on the resistance to corner it.”

Qassem’s remarks came a day after Bulgarian authorities said their investigation into the bus bombing in July of 2012 in Burgas linked Hezbollah to the two men involved in the attack.

The bombing killed five Israeli tourists and wounded the Bulgarian driver.

The accusation led to renewed calls by Israel and the U.S. on the EU to declare the Lebanese movement a “terrorist” organization. The Netherlands has blacklisted Hezbollah while Britain reserves the designation for Hezbollah's armed wing.

In his comments Wednesday, Qassem said the Israeli campaign is aimed at distracting the world from the Jewish state’s aggression and occupation practices and to compensate for its loss against Hezbollah by adopting the means to pressure the resistance.

It is also aimed at pressuring other powers “to be on its side and in turn lessen the burden of confrontation.”

“Hezbollah is strong and increasing its readiness, support, and training to face these challenges and all these accusations against Hezbollah will not have any effect and will not change facts and reality,” Qassem said.

“We will not accept occupation and we will not succumb to pressure or alter our priorities,” he added, noting that Hezbollah’s “compass” will remain directed at “the Israeli enemy.”

In response to Bulgaria's accusation, Prime Minister Najib Mikati said Tuesday Lebanon was ready to cooperate with Sophia in its investigation and that his country condemns any attack on any Arab or foreign country.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here