BEIRUT: Bulgaria handed Lebanon its report into the 2012 bombing in the Black Sea resort of Burgas Tuesday, the state-run National News Agency reported.
A delegation, headed by Bulgarian Embassy charge d'affaires Plamen Tzolov handed Foreign Affairs Minister Adnan Mansour a memo and a file from the Bulgarian Justice Ministry to its Lebanese counterpart.
Bulgaria blamed Hezbollah for the Burgas blast, triggering renewed pressure on the European Union to designate the movement a “terrorist group.”
Following the accusation, Lebanon’s Prime Minister Najib Mikati voiced willingness to cooperate with Bulgaria over the case.
A source at the Foreign Ministry told The Daily Star that the memo submitted to Mansour included a request for assistance from Lebanon over the Burgas bombing.
The request called for Lebanon’s cooperation in the case, the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
Tzolov refused to reveal the content of the file addressed to the Justice Ministry.
He told The Daily Star that “the issue is strictly between the two ministries,” and that he was unable to give out any details of the matter.
Following the meeting with Mansour, Tzolov said that his country is keen on preserving good ties with Lebanon, and even developing them.
Tzolov denied having any information about the investigation and said his country will be waiting for Lebanon’s response after it looks into the file submitted to the Justice ministry.
The Bulgarian government said the Hezbollah members behind the attack held Canadian and Australian passports, but lived in Lebanon.
Bulgaria has already asked Australia, Canada, and Israel for help investigating last year's bus bombing, which killed six people; five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver.