BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Arabs, U.S. provided Israel cover for Syria strikes: Hezbollah official

  • Sheik Nabil Qaouq, Hezbollah's commander in south Lebanon attends a funeral in Hanaway, Lebanon, Tuesday, Jan. 26, 2010. (AP)

BEIRUT: A Hezbollah official accused Arab countries and the United States Monday of providing cover for Israel over the Jewish states’ recent attacks on targets in Syria.

“The [air] strikes would have never taken place had they not had cover from the United States and the Arab League,” said Sheikh Nabil Qaouq, the head of Hezbollah’s executive bureau.

Qaouq, who spoke during a ceremony in south Lebanon, added that the Israeli strikes on Damascus aimed at making up for the failure of Syrian rebels seeking to topple President Bashar Assad.

“When the Israeli enemy shelled Damascus, it wanted to make up for the local failure of the tools of strife,” Qaouq said.

MP Mohammad Raad, a Hezbollah official who heads the Loyalty to the Resistance parliamentary bloc, denounced Monday the airstrikes on Syria, according to the National News Agency.

He argued that the Israeli attacks highlighted the interconnection between the goals of Israel and “Takfiri terrorists.”

“The airstrikes against Syria prove that the Israeli and the Takfiri terrorist schemes are one and the same and they should be addressed this way,” Raad said in south Lebanon.

Syria, through its information minister, confirmed Sunday Israeli strikes on three targets on the outskirts of Damascus.

Reports over the weekend said Israeli jets targeted Sunday Iranian-made missiles headed for Hezbollah.

However, a top Iranian general said Monday that no Iranian missiles had been targeted in the strike.

Brig. Gen. Masoud Jazayeri "denied Western and Israeli media reports that an Iranian weapons depot has been targeted in Syria."

"The Syrian government does not need Iran's military aid and these sorts of reports are propaganda and psychological war," the deputy chief of the armed forces said, reported Agence France Presse.

His remarks were carried on the Revolutionary Guards website Monday. – With AFP

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here