BEIRUT

Sci&Tech

Yemen stops printing leading southern opposition newspaper

A Yemeni protester with her face painted in the colours of her national flag holds a child as she takes part in a demonstration to demand that the government to achieve the political and economic goals of the revolution that broke out in 2011, on February 21, 2014 in Sanaa. Yemeni forces shot dead one protester and wounded 16 others as they opened fire on defiant secessionist demonstrators in the southern city of Aden, hours after killing another. AFP PHOTO/ MOHAMMED HUWAIS

ADEN, Yemen: Yemeni authorities have prevented a local newspaper linked to southern separatists from being printed at a government-owned press in Aden, editors said on Sunday, in a move that led to a protest in the port city.

The Aden al-Ghad newspaper said officials at the 14 October Printing and Publishing house refused to print its Sunday edition on Saturday night, saying they were implementing instructions from senior officials in the capital.

A government source in Sanaa said the move was part of an attempt by the government to restore order to the publishing sector and printing could resume once the newspaper's owners had obtained a license to publish from the Information Ministry.

Aden al-Ghad reflects the views of Southern Herak, the main group demanding the restoration of the state that merged with North Yemen in 1990.

The newspaper, which began publishing after southern activists set up Herak in 2007 to push for independence, said it was licensed by the Information Ministry and had been abiding by journalistic principles since its inception.

It said the move was part of a government campaign against the newspaper, and said its editor had been assaulted hours earlier at a security checkpoint in Aden.

The newspaper said officials had cited its reporting on what it called "peaceful activities by the sons of the south" as a reason to prevent it being printed.

The measure prompted hundreds of people to gather in front of the publishing house demanding the decision be rescinded.

The newspaper, which says it distributes up to 40,000 copies, said its Internet edition had not been affected.

"Aden al-Ghad cannot but express its sincere sorrow for this step which proves beyond doubt that darkness of the scene which awaits the sons of the south in the coming period," the newspaper said on its website.

The government official said licensing procedures were simple and a permit to print could be issued within a few days.

"We have begun to correct the situation," the source, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters. "The newspaper will be able to go back to printing as soon as it applies and obtains a license."

Yemeni official leaders, including exiled former South Yemen President Ali Salem al-Beidh and former Prime Minister Abu Bakr al-Attas condemned the move to stop the newspaper going to print.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Yemeni authorities have prevented a local newspaper linked to southern separatists from being printed at a government-owned press in Aden, editors said on Sunday, in a move that led to a protest in the port city.

The Aden al-Ghad newspaper said officials at the 14 October Printing and Publishing house refused to print its Sunday edition on Saturday night, saying they were implementing instructions from senior officials in the capital.

It said the move was part of a government campaign against the newspaper, and said its editor had been assaulted hours earlier at a security checkpoint in Aden.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here