BEIRUT

World

Mayor: 34 killed in C. African Republic attacks

A soldier of the European Union Force in the Central African Republic (EUFOR-CAR) patrolling a street in Bangui. (AFP/Issouf Sanogo)

BANGUI: A local official said Saturday that Muslim rebels in Central African Republic had killed at least 34 people over the last week in a series of attacks on remote villages.

The violence comes as the country wracked by conflict awaits the arrival of a U.N. peacekeeping mission next month.

Bienvenu Sarapata, mayor of the Mbres commune north of the capital, Bangui, said the attacks were committed by former members of the Seleka alliance that ruled the country for 10 months.

The Seleka fighters left power in January and they have regrouped in the northern part of the country in recent months, launching new attacks.

Witnesses in Mbres say the rebels threatened to assault other villages in the coming weeks before the U.N. peacekeepers arrive on the ground in mid-September.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here