BEIRUT

World

Escaped Liberia Ebola patients found as death toll surges

A newly installed electronic board, rear, gives updates on the Ebola virus with periodical information spanning over different time periods in the city of Monrovia, Liberia, Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2014.(AP Photo/Abbas Dulleh)

MONROVIA: Liberia said Tuesday it had found 17 Ebola patients who had fled an attack on their clinic, sparking a panicked manhunt across its capital, which is in the throes of a seemingly unstoppable epidemic.

The World Health Organization, meanwhile, said the tropical virus had killed 84 people in just three days, a surge that has pushed the overall death toll from the West African outbreak to 1,229.

Liberia’s Information Minister Lewis Brown announced the return of the missing infected patients, who had fled a medical facility in a Monrovia slum Saturday after it was attacked by club-wielding youths.

Their disappearance had raised fears of a nightmare scenario of people with the highly contagious disease wandering the city where unburied corpses have lain abandoned in the streets.

“All 17 patients who fled the Ebola center have been accounted for,” Brown told AFP.

The U.N. health agency has counted 2,240 cases of confirmed, probable and suspected Ebola infection, making it the deadliest outbreak ever.

Efforts to contain the epidemic have run up against local distrust of outside doctors, and stories of aid workers carrying the infection.

Such fears have often led to violence, with a raid on the medical facility in Monrovia’s West Point slum Saturday the most dramatic example.

Wild rumors of cannibalism and people being drained of their blood in Ebola clinics have fueled panic, with health workers saying the testimony of survivors was crucial to proving myths wrong.

Medical authorities in Spain said Tuesday a man with fever who had returned from Sierra Leone had been placed in an isolation ward, while two Nigerian men are being monitored in a hospital in Vocklabruck in central Austria.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on August 20, 2014, on page 11.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Liberia said Tuesday it had found 17 Ebola patients who had fled an attack on their clinic, sparking a panicked manhunt across its capital, which is in the throes of a seemingly unstoppable epidemic.

The U.N. health agency has counted 2,240 cases of confirmed, probable and suspected Ebola infection, making it the deadliest outbreak ever.

Such fears have often led to violence, with a raid on the medical facility in Monrovia's West Point slum Saturday the most dramatic example.

Wild rumors of cannibalism and people being drained of their blood in Ebola clinics have fueled panic, with health workers saying the testimony of survivors was crucial to proving myths wrong.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here