Police patrol the street in Sydney's central business district on December 24, 2014. (AFP/Peter Parks)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
An Australian man was charged Wednesday with possessing documents connected to a planned terrorist attack on government targets in Sydney, but police insisted people should not be afraid."Certainly the documents talked a little bit about potential government targets," said Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner for National Security Michael Phelan.He said the targets were in Sydney, but did not go into detail. The arrests follow warnings on Tuesday by Prime Minister Tony Abbott of heightened "terrorist chatter" in the aftermath of a fatal cafe siege in Sydney's financial hub last week.Australia has not officially branded the Sydney siege a terrorist attack and Abbott declined to speculate on any potential new threat.Phelan said police had been monitoring a particular group of between 15 and 20 people with 11 of them charged since the September raids, some for "serious terrorism offences".
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE