BEIRUT

World

More than 50 dead in Nigeria Islamist attack

  • Vice President Namadi Sambo (C) and entourage look at the wreckage of a car at the scene of bomb blast at the crowded Emab Plaza that left 21 people dead and several others injured in Abuja, Nigeria June 26, 2014. (AFP PHOTO/Stringer)

KANO, Nigeria: More than 50 people were killed in the latest attack blamed on Boko Haram Islamists which targeted churches in Nigeria's embattled northeast, a Borno state government official said Monday.

"So far we have 54 dead," said the official, who requested anonymity, of the raid on four villages just outside Chibok, where Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls in April.

A local leader in Chibok, who also asked that his name be withheld, said that residents had discovered at least 47 bodies in the surrounding bushland, but told AFP that the search was ongoing and figures were still being collated.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here