A person looks at the website of the United Nations Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals after it confirmed the arrest of Ladislas Ntaganzwa, one of nine top fugitive Rwandan genocide suspects, on December 10, 2015. (AFP / STRINGER)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
One of nine top fugitive Rwandan genocide suspects, a former mayor accused of slaughtering thousands of people and organizing mass rapes in 1994, has been arrested, the United Nations said.Ladislas Ntaganzwa, who had a $5 million (4.6 million euro) U.S. bounty on his head, has been indicted by a U.N.-backed court for genocide and crimes against humanity.Around 800,000 people -- mostly members of the minority Tutsi community -- were slaughtered in the 100-day orgy of violence in 1994, largely by ethnic Hutus.Ntaganzwa, 53, who was arrested in the Democratic Republic of Congo on Wednesday, the MICT said, is expected to face trial in Rwanda on nine counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and violating the Geneva Conventions.Ntaganzwa fled Rwanda for neighboring Congo soon after the genocide and was arrested there earlier this week.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE