Firefighters search for survivors among the rubble of collapsed buildings after a landslide hit an industrial park in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China Dec. 21, 2015. REUTERS
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
At least 85 people were missing in China Monday a day after a giant flow of mud and construction waste spewed out of an overfull dump in a boomtown and buried 33 buildings in its latest industrial disaster.The mudslide smashed into multi-story buildings at the Hengtaiyu industrial park in the Guangming New District, toppling them within seconds.The mudslide, covering an area of more than 380,000 square meters (94 acres), was 10 meters (33 feet) deep in parts, Shenzhen Vice Mayor Liu Qingsheng told reporters, according to state news agency Xinhua.More than a year ago, a government-run newspaper warned that Shenzhen would run out of space to dump waste from a building frenzy.Fourteen factories, 13 low-rise buildings and three dormitories were among the buildings flattened.Xinhua said 14 people had been rescued and more than 900 people had been evacuated from the site by Sunday evening.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE