Commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, General John F. Campbell (C) arrives to address a press conference at Resolute Support headquarters in Kabul on November 25, 2015. AFP PHOTO/Massoud HOSSAINI/POOL
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Pressure was growing Thursday for an international inquiry into a catastrophic U.S. strike on an MSF hospital in Afghanistan, after the military detailed "tragic but avoidable" errors but refused to say if there would be an independent investigation.The general said during Wednesday's press conference that individuals involved in the attack had been suspended pending "standard military justice", but refused to give details.The rights group added: "This warrants a criminal investigation into possible war crimes, but the Pentagon did not clarify today whether recommendations made to senior commanders include possible criminal charges.Campbell said Wednesday Afghan forces had requested close air support from the U.S. for a clearing operation that night, including on a former Afghan intelligence building they believed had been commandeered by Taliban forces.Commanders on the ground gave the crew the correct coordinates for the intended target, the former Afghan intelligence building, Campbell said.The strike began at 2.08 am, Campbell said.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE