The burned Doctors Without Borders hospital is seen after explosions in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz, Saturday, Oct. 3, 2015.(Médecins Sans Frontières via AP)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Afghan forces who reported being under Taliban fire requested the U.S. airstrike that killed 22 people at a medical clinic in northern Afghanistan over the weekend, the top commander of American and coalition forces in Afghanistan said Monday, correcting an initial U.S. statement that the strike had been launched because U.S. forces were threatened.The strike wasn't sought by U.S. forces, Gen. John F. Campbell said at a Pentagon news conference. Asked about those procedures, Campbell said he would not discuss the rules of engagement under which U.S. forces operate.Campbell declined to provide more details, saying military probes by the U.S. as well as Afghanistan are ongoing.Campbell, whose headquarters is in Kabul, was in Washington Monday because he is testifying before two congressional committees this week. He noted that the Kunduz airstrike happened one day after a U.S. C-130 cargo plane crashed at an air base in northern Afghanistan, killing all six U.S. crew members as well as five civilian passengers.Campbell is expected to testify about his recommendations on the future of the U.S. military mission in Afghanistan.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE