British Defense Secretary Michael Fallon arrives for the weekly cabinet meeting at 10 Downing Street in London on October 27, 2015. AFP PHOTO / JUSTIN TALLIS
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Britain will keep its current level of 450 troops on non-combat missions in Afghanistan through 2016, Defense Secretary Michael Fallon said in a written statement to parliament on Tuesday.President Barack Obama has said the US will maintain its current force of 9,800 in the country through 2016, going back on a campaign promise to end the war in Afghanistan after acknowledging that Afghan forces were not ready to stand alone.After that, rather than go down to a normal embassy presence as had been planned, the United States will leave a force of 5,500 troops in place to train Afghan forces and conduct counter-terrorism missions.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE