Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte speaks during a National Heroes Day commemoration at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (Heroes' Cemetery) in Taguig city, Metro Manila in the Philippines August 29, 2016. REUTERS/Erik De Castro
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte defended his bloody anti-drug campaign on Monday, saying the nearly 1,800 deaths in two months didn't compare with brutality in Syria or atrocities committed by ISIS.At least 1,779 drug suspects have been killed in Duterte's campaign, including 712 who were gunned down in clashes with police, with the rest being slain in still-unclear circumstances, the national police chief told a Senate inquiry last week.Duterte said at least 3.7 million Filipinos have become addicted to methamphetamine, a stimulant known locally as shabu, with about 600,000 drug users and dealers surrendering to authorities.Pressing his campaign, Duterte announced bounties of 2 million pesos ($42,000) for information that would help the government identify any police officer protecting drugs syndicates.He repeated his pledge to defend the police and military, but warned law enforcers against conniving with criminals.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE