U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter thanks the crowd after a question and answer period at the Economic Club of Washington winter breakfast in Washington, February 2, 2016. REUTERS/Gary Cameron
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Tuesday the Pentagon would seek a $582.7 billion defense budget next year and reshape its spending priorities to reflect a new strategic environment marked by Russian assertiveness and the rise of Daesh (ISIS). Carter, speaking to the Economic Club of Washington, said the funding request was in line with last year's congressional budget deal and the spending plan would be refocused to address the five big challenges facing the U.S. military: Russia, China, North Korea, Iran and Daesh. The Pentagon received $580 billion this fiscal year, including a $521 billion base budget and $59 billion in war funding, which is not constrained by budget caps.Carter said that to address the changing strategic environment the Pentagon would seek $7.5 billion for the war against Daesh in the 2017 fiscal year that begins Oct. 1, a 50 percent increase over spending on the conflict this year.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE