Rwanda president Paul Kagame attends the opening ceremony of the 26 ordinary of the African Summit in Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016. (AP Photo/Mulugeta Ayene)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A French general has defended France's response to the 1994 Rwandan genocide, saying his troops did not give so much as a bullet to the perpetrators and did not immediately grasp the scale of the killing, sources said Sunday.General Jean-Claude Lafourcade was questioned over claims that France's U.N.-mandated Operation Turquoise, which he led, left ethnic Tutsis to be slaughtered by Hutu killers in the western Bisesero hills in June 1994, sources close to the case said.French soldiers had been deployed in Rwanda a few days earlier under U.N. instructions to stop the genocide that had begun in April, and which three months later had left at least 800,000 people dead, most of them Tutsis.In 2005 survivors filed a complaint in France, saying the French troops had on June 27, 1994 vowed to return to Bisesero, but when they came back three days later, it was too late for hundreds of Tutsis who were massacred.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE