This November 24, 2009 file photo shows former Congolese warlord militiaman Germain Katanga sitting in the courtroom of the International Criminal Court in The Hague. AFP PHOTO / MICHAEL KOOREN
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Democratic Republic of Congo said it plans to prosecute notorious militia leader Germain Katanga, who had been scheduled to leave prison in Kinshasa Monday after completing a sentence handed down by the International Criminal Court."He will not leave" prison, Justice Minister Alexis Thambwe Mwamba told AFP in an interview Monday.He said Katanga was implicated "in other cases just as serious" as the one he was convicted for by the ICC in 2014 – that of arming an ethnic militia which in 2003 carried out a brutal village massacre, killing some 200 people.Katanga, 37, was sentenced to 12 years in prison last year by the ICC in The Hague for complicity in crimes against humanity and war crimes over the 2003 attack on the village of Bogoro, including murder and pillage.Last month Katanga and former warlord Thomas Lubanga, sentenced to 14 years by the ICC for recruiting and enlisting child soldiers, were transferred to a prison in Kinshasa to serve out their sentences.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE