In this photograph taken on October 5, 2016, an Afghan man carries a child as he walks with his wife as ongoing battles between Taliban and Afghan security forces continue in Helmand province.
AFP / WAKIL KOHSAR
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Two Taliban officials said on Tuesday that the militant movement held informal, secret peace talks with the Afghan government earlier this month in Qatar, but a Taliban spokesman denied they took place.The Afghan Taliban officials, based in Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the talks had led to very little in terms of progress.Afghan and U.S. officials demanded that the Taliban declared a ceasefire, laid down arms and started formal peace talks, said the UAE-based official.According to the Guardian, the officials said the talks were also attended by Mullah Abdul Manan, the brother of the Afghan Taliban founder Mullah Mohammad Omar, who died in 2013 .
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE