Philippine Scene of the Crime Operatives (SOCO) work at the scene where two suspects were shot dead following an encounter and shootout with police at a checkpoint along a highway in Manila on Aug. 28, 2016. / AFP / NOEL CELIS /
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A retired police officer who testified to killing hundreds of people while working for a "death squad" under Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte when he was a city mayor has left the country in fear of his life, he said.Arturo Lascanas in February told a Senate hearing he had killed 300 people, about 200 as a member of a hit squad at the behest of Duterte when he was mayor of southern Davao City.Human rights groups say history has repeated itself in the Philippines since Duterte took office mid-last year and unleashed a war on drugs during which more than 8,000 people have died.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE