Police emerge from a block of flats in the Sydney suburb of Lakemba on August 1, 2017, after counter-terrorism raids across the city at the weekend. / AFP / WILLIAM WEST
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A man arrested over the weekend in Sydney has been released without charge and was shocked to be questioned about a plot to bring down an airliner, his lawyer and police said Wednesday.Australian officials will not comment on reports that the arrests followed a tip from U.S. or British intelligence agencies that had intercepted communications from Syria.Australian authorities have said they thwarted a credible terrorist plot to down an airplane by smuggling a device onboard. The United Arab Emirates' national airline said it is working with Australian police in the ongoing investigation, suggesting one of its planes may have been targeted in the plot. Etihad Airways, the smallest of three long-haul Gulf carriers that fly to Australia, refused to confirm, however, if it had been a target.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE