An Afghan man inspects the site of a suicide attack followed by a clash between Afghan forces and insurgents after an attack on a Shi'ite Muslim mosque in Kabul, Afghanistan, August 25, 2017. REUTERS/Omar Sobhani
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Daesh (ISIS) claimed responsibility for the attack, the latest to target Afghanistan's minority Shiites.Daesh said in a statement on the website of its Amaq news agency that it had deployed two attackers to the mosque.Security forces surrounded the mosque in the northern Kabul neighborhood but did not initially enter to prevent further casualties to the worshippers inside, police official Mohammed Jamil said. The mosque could accommodate up to 1,000 people, Nasir added.Last month, Daesh attacked the Iraqi Embassy in Kabul and then warned Shiites in Afghanistan that their mosques would be targeted.Within days, the militant group also took responsibility for a suicide attack on a Shiite mosque in western Herat province that killed 32 people.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE