In this file photo taken on April 23, 2014 Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu gestures during a press conference about the first 20 years of freedom in South Africa at St Georges Cathedral in Cape Town. AFP / Jennifer BRUCE
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Oxfam has neither confirmed nor denied the specific accounts reported in the media but has said an internal investigation in 2011 confirmed sexual misconduct occurred and it has apologized.Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu also said that he will no longer be a global ambassador for the British-based aid organization Oxfam after the allegations.Actress Minnie Driver and Senegalese musician Baaba Maal also have quit as celebrity ambassadors for Oxfam following its response to a sex abuse scandal in Haiti after its 2010 earthquake.The scandal over sexual abuse in the foreign aid industry spread Wednesday as French group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) revealed it had fired 19 staff last year for harassment or abuse.The scandal has now thrown into question British government funding for Oxfam, which stood at around £32 million ($44 million) last year.An Oxfam spokeswoman said the aid agency had received 1,270 cancelations of donations by direct debit between Saturday and Monday – compared to a normal monthly average of 600 .
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE