Afghan security forces inspect the site of yesterdayأ•s blast and gunfire in Jalalabad, Afghanistan January 25, 2018. REUTERS/Parwiz
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The governor of the western Afghan province of Farah resigned Thursday after months of increased fighting that have fueled protests by residents fearful that Taliban militants could threaten the provincial capital.Although Afghan and U.S. military commanders have expressed growing optimism about battlefield successes against the Taliban, backed by increased American air strikes, the problems in Farah show how unstable security remains in many areas.However the NATO-led Resolute Support mission in Kabul, which is providing assistance and training to Afghan forces, said the threats by the Taliban to take over Farah province were "way overblown".Mohammad Naser Hedayat, commander of 207th Zafar Army Corps based in the neighboring province of Herat, said three battalion-sized units combining army and police had been deployed to Farah to push the Taliban back.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE