A smartphone is held in this illustration in front of the New York Times building on September 6, 2018 in New York. AFP / ANGELA WEISS
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
By midday, seven senior officials had disavowed the piece, including Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Secretary James Mattis, while criticizing both the author for writing it and the Times for publishing it.Visibly angry at a White House event, Trump Wednesday called the Times article a "gutless editorial," and in a later tweet he suggested it was treasonous. The Times opinion section said the piece was written by a senior official in the administration and it was taking the rare step of publishing an anonymous article because disclosing the author's identity would jeopardize the person's job.Pompeo, previously Trump's CIA director, said he was not the author and condemned the Times for publishing it, while Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said Mattis did not write the piece.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE