Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The big question in Asian countries right now is what lesson to take from Donald Trump's victory in the United States' presidential election, and from the United Kingdom's Brexit referendum, in which British voters opted to leave the European Union.According to exit polls, Trump won 53 percent of white male college graduates, and 52 percent of white women (only 43 percent of the latter group supported Clinton); he won 47 percent of white Americans between the ages of 18 and 29, compared to 43 percent for Clinton; and he beat Clinton by 48 percent to 45 percent among white college graduates overall.Meanwhile, more than half of the 36 percent of Americans who earn less than $50,000 annually voted for Clinton, and of the remaining 64 percent of voters, 49 percent and 47 percent chose Trump and Clinton, respectively. Thus, the poor were more favorable toward Clinton, and the rich toward Trump.Paradoxically, Brexit and Trump supporters might be feeling the effects of globalization because overall inequality has actually declined.Low international income inequality, rather than growing income inequality in individual countries, is putting unprecedented stress on the global order.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE