Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Ultimately, SDG 14 promises to preserve the ocean and ensure its sustainable use in the future.The call, which will be launched in June, at the U.N.'s first-ever Ocean Conference, should include a firm commitment to protect at least 30 percent of the ocean by 2030, and ensure that the remaining 70 percent is sustainably managed.In fact, a healthy ocean will be impossible to secure without also addressing this pressing global challenge.People everywhere must stand up and demand real action to ensure the ocean's regeneration. In short, the ocean must become everyone's business.Business has a clear interest in reversing the decline in ocean health. The GDP derived from the ocean amounts to $2.5 trillion, or 5 percent of the world's total GDP. The ocean is also the world's biggest employer, directly supporting the livelihoods of more than 3 billion people, and is a source of food for over 2.6 billion. Restoring the ocean thus amounts to an unparalleled business opportunity.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE