Terry tells racism trial he will speak to police, insists he did nothing wrong

Chelsea and England footballer John Terry arrives for the third day of his trial at Westminster Magistrates court in London, on July 11, 2012. (AFP PHOTO / CARL COURT)

LONDON: John Terry told his trial Wednesday that he was keen to speak to the police about racist abuse allegations as the former England football captain knew he had not “done anything wrong.”

The Chelsea captain is accused of calling Queens Park Rangers player Anton Ferdinand a “f ?ing black c**t” during a match between Chelsea and QPR on Oct. 23 last year.

Terry, standing trial at Westminster Magistrates Court in London, denies committing a racially aggravated public order offense.

Taking the witness stand again on the third day of the trial, the 31-year-old said: “I knew there was nothing out there that would show that I had done anything wrong.”

He said he wanted to speak to the police and to the Football Association, the sport’s governing body in England, to address the allegations.

“I was keen to go forward with my police statement, my FA statement. If I had anything to hide I wouldn’t have done that,” he said.

He said he made a statement before seeing any footage of the incident.

“If there was ever any doubt in my mind, I could have held back, soaked it up and thought ‘Let’s wait until tomorrow, let’s see what kind of footage is out there.’”

The England defender also denied that he had made a remark about having sex with Ferdinand’s girlfriend, in response to taunts about his alleged affair with the mother of a former teammate’s child.

Giving evidence Tuesday, Terry told the court he was sarcastically repeating words he thought Ferdinand had said to him.

He said that after the match, he had asked Ferdinand whether he had accused him of using the racist term.

“His reply to that was ‘no, no, no. We all said things we shouldn’t have said; that’s the end of it,’” Terry told the court.

If found guilty, Terry could be fined up to 2,500 pounds ($3,850).

The trial is expected to take five days.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 12, 2012, on page 14.




Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (

comments powered by Disqus



Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here