File - Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed al-Thani, president of Qatar Football Association and ruling family member, said that no charges had been found against Qatar.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Qatar said Wednesday there was no way it would be stripped of the right to host the World Cup despite the corruption scandal surrounding FIFA, dismissing a "bashing campaign" of criticism of its 2022 bid as anti-Arab prejudice.A U.S. law enforcement official told Reuters Wednesday that the investigation would also look into the bidding that awarded the Cup to Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022 .Russia and Qatar have both strongly denied wrongdoing to secure their bids.The decision to host the Cup in Qatar drew particular notice because the country is far smaller than any other that has hosted a World Cup, has little domestic football tradition and is subject to extreme heat in the summer when the tournament is traditionally played. Qatar denies any worker has died on its Cup construction projects.Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed al-Thani, president of the Qatar Football Association and a member of the ruling family, said that no charges had been found against Qatar in an investigation conducted by Michael Garcia, a former U.S. prosecutor hired by FIFA to look into the bids.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE