Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has defended his latest proposal for a 48-team World Cup, saying it would not extend the tournament beyond the existing length nor require any more venues.A source in FIFA said Wednesday that Infantino had changed his mind over his plans for the future of the World Cup and has now recommended a 48-team tournament with 16 groups of three.Infantino's latest suggestion, the source said, was among four proposals which have been sent to FIFA Council members who will decide in January on the format and number of teams for the 2026 World Cup.Infantino had previously suggested a 48-team tournament but with a one-off preliminary round involving 32 teams, with the 16 winners going into a 32-team group stage and joining 16 teams who would receive a bye.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE