Sepang International Circuit CEO, Razlan Razali speaks at a press conference during the 2016 MotoGP Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang International circuit on October 29, 2016. / AFP / MOHD RASFAN
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Malaysia's Sepang circuit agreed Saturday to extend its successful MotoGP event until at least 2021, in sharp contrast to rumblings that it may drop its loss-making Formula One race.Sepang has hosted the Malaysia Motorcycling Grand Prix since the circuit opened in 1999 .The track expects a record 90,000 spectators for Sunday's sold-out grand prix, up from 85,000 last year, officials have said.But track CEO Razlan Razali said earlier this week Malaysia may take a "temporary break" from F1 after its current race contract expires in 2018, citing ebbing ticket sales and TV viewership.Razlan said Sepang, which can accommodate 120,000 fans, drew just 45,000 to last month's Malaysian F1 event and TV ratings were poor.Malaysia's MotoGP, by contrast, is consistently popular.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE