Movies & TV

Plummer to replace Spacey in Getty film

All of Spacey’s scenes will be reshot, the people told the Associated Press.

LOS ANGELES: In a wholly unprecedented move, Kevin Spacey is being cut from Ridley Scott’s finished film “All the Money in the World” and replaced by Christopher Plummer just over one month before it’s supposed to hit theaters. People close to the production who were not authorized to speak publicly said Wednesday that Plummer is commencing reshoots immediately in the role of J. Paul Getty. All of Spacey’s scenes will be reshot, the people told the Associated Press. Co-stars Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams are expected to participate.

Scott, who is known to be an efficient director, is intending to keep the film’s Dec. 22 release date. The director’s publicist Simon Halls confirmed the switch late Wednesday.

Originally set to have its world premiere at the AFI Fest in Los Angeles on Nov. 16, the film was pulled earlier this week amid the sexual harassment reports surrounding Spacey, who has also been fired from “House of Cards” and dropped by his talent agency and publicist.

“All the Money in the World” was primed for a plush awards season release from distributor Sony Pictures Entertainment, and its advertising campaign, which prominently features Spacey, has been public for about a month already, but its plans have been in question since Spacey’s reputation has diminished over the past week with harassment allegations growing daily. A Massachusetts mother Wednesday accused Spacey of sexually assaulting her 18-year-old son on the holiday island of Nantucket last year, and said police had opened a criminal investigation.

The film chronicles the events surrounding the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III and his mother’s attempt to convince J. Paul Getty, his billionaire grandfather, to pay the ransom.

The 87-year-old Plummer was reportedly Scott’s first choice for the role of J. Paul Getty, but the director was pressured into casting a bigger name. Plummer is probably best known for “The Sound of Music.” He won his first Oscar in 2012 for the film “Beginners.”

One of the people close to the production said that Scott’s plan caught Sony by surprise, but the studio is supporting the switch.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on November 10, 2017, on page 12.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here