People

TV Land pulls Cosby Show from lineup

The allegations have gravely damaged the 77-year-old comedian's reputation as America's TV dad. (Victoria Will/Invision/AP, File)

NEW YORK: NBC has scrapped a Bill Cosby comedy that was under development and TV Land will stop airing reruns of “The Cosby Show,” moves that came a day after another woman came forward claiming that the once-beloved comic had sexually assaulted her.

NBC spokeswoman Rebecca Marks said Wednesday the Cosby sitcom “is no longer under development.” A TV Land representative said the reruns will stop airing immediately for an indefinite time.

“The Cosby Show” also was to have been part of a Thanksgiving sitcom marathon.

The NBC sitcom and “Cosby Show” reruns joined a Netflix Cosby stand-up comedy special, which was indefinitely postponed late Tuesday, as mounting evidence of Cosby’s faltering career. They occurred a day after model Janice Dickinson, in an interview with “Entertainment Tonight,” became the third woman in recent weeks to allege she’d been assaulted by Cosby – charges strongly denied by the comedian’s lawyer.

The developments, which involve allegations that were widely reported a decade ago as well as new accusations, have gravely damaged the 77-year-old comedian’s reputation as America’s TV dad at a time when he was launching a comeback. A year ago, a stand-up special – his first in 30 years – aired on Comedy Central and drew a hefty audience of 2 million viewers. His prospective new series was announced by NBC in January.

Cosby has never been charged in connection with any of the allegations. Former Pennsylvania prosecutor Bruce L. Castor Jr., who investigated a woman’s claims that Cosby had sexually assaulted her in 2004, said Wednesday he decided not to prosecute because he felt there was not enough evidence to get a conviction.

“I wrote my opinion in such a way as I thought conveyed to the whole world that I thought he had done it, he had just gotten away with it because of a lack of evidence,” the former Montgomery County district attorney said, adding that if Cosby hadn’t been cooperative with the investigation, “I probably would have arrested him.”

Cosby was asked about the growing furor by an Associated Press reporter when the comedian was promoting an exhibition at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art that features his African-American art collection alongside African artworks. Cosby declined to comment, saying “We don’t answer that.”

Since then, two women have come forward publicly to accuse him of sexual assault, Netflix, TV Land and NBC cut ties and an appearance on “The Late Show With David Letterman” was canceled.

The Smithsonian’s National Museum of African art has not changed its plans for the show, which is scheduled to remain on view through early 2016.

The NBC project was in the very early stages, without a script or commitment to production. But it would have brought Cosby back to the network where he had reigned in the 1980s with the top-rated “The Cosby Show.”

Cosby has continued working as a stand-up comic, and has at least 35 performances scheduled throughout the U.S. and Canada through May 2015. None of the performances has been canceled.

National Artists Corporation, which is promoting part of the tour, said that it would not be canceling any shows.

Dickinson told “Entertainment Tonight” that Cosby had given her red wine and a pill when they were together in a Lake Tahoe, California, hotel room in 1982. When she woke up the next morning, “I wasn’t wearing my pajamas and I remembered before I passed out I had been sexually assaulted by this man.”

Cosby’s lawyer, Martin Singer, said in a letter to the Associated Press that Dickinson’s charges were “false and outlandish” and were contradicted by Dickinson herself in a published autobiography.

Singer said the first Cosby heard of any assault allegation from Dickinson came in the “Entertainment Tonight” interview, and suggested the actress was “seeking publicity to bolster her fading career.”

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on November 20, 2014, on page 9.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here