HERMEL, Lebanon: The Municipality of Baalbek announced Monday the start of a security plan for the eastern city with the aim of preventing the recurrence of robberies and putting an end to brief armed clashes.
In a news conference, Mayor Mohammad Hasan said Baalbek would see the implementation of new security measures which would reassure residents and shop owners.
"The security plan is under the umbrella of [caretaker] Interior Minister Marwan Charbel and in cooperation with all the security agencies," Hasan told reporters.
"[It will include] creating an operations room and setting up surveillance cameras on the streets and at the entrances of the city as well as a hotline for complaints and security information," he added.
Cameras were set up in and around the Baalbek market and the Lebanese Army would continue erecting checkpoints in different neighborhoods among other measures.
The purpose of the plan, the mayor said, was to put an end to increasing security breaches such as robbery, theft and clashes similar to last month’s armed clash which raised tensions in the city.
Baalbek residents have complained about the deteriorating situation there while shop owners have sounded the alarm over repeated robberies and break-ins.
The Lebanese Army also took over several checkpoints which were originally set up by Hezbollah as part of the resistance group’s own security measures following deadly car bombings in its strongholds in the southern suburb of Beirut.
The checkpoints remain in place.
Late last month, a military checkpoint came under gunfire, wounding three soldiers in the attack in the neighborhood of Sharawneh, weeks after gunmen clashed with members of Hezbollah over one of the party’s posts in the city.