A bulldozer collects a pile of garbage as others collect trash on a street in Beirut. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A Cabinet proposal to resolve the trash crisis would go ahead in the next 24 hours, a source close to Prime Minister Tammam Salam said Wednesday. The assurance comes despite a warning by Sidon Mayor Mohammad Saudi that his city would not receive any extra trash – as per the Cabinet's plan – if no financial incentives were given. Municipalities where the landfills will be located were offered financial incentives to agree to the plan.The temporary plan will last four years, allowing the government to find a permanent solution for the country's waste issues.Sidon, which suffered from its own chronic trash issues before implementing a local solution, is part of the Cabinet's plan to solve the crisis. Saudi denied to the CNA that the city would receive 400 tons of extra trash per day at the city's waste treatment plant, saying that the plant's overall capacity is only 500 tons.Saudi said that the Sidon Municipality had previously agreed to treat trash from other areas if a landfill was created for byproducts from the plant.
U.S. envoy warns of economic disaster, blasts Hezbollah
Red Cross rescues 500 Syrian refugees from flooded camp
Mieh Mieh, Ain al-Hilweh engulfed by security concerns in 2018
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE