SIDON, Lebanon: The family of Haitham al-Saadi has agreed to go ahead with his burial after Palestinian leadership in Ain al-Hilweh refugee camp pledged to arrest his killer, according to a statement from a committee dealing with the issue.
The agreement was reached Friday between Palestinian leadership and members of the Teitejba committee, which includes members of Saadi’s family and other residents of their neighborhood.
The committee said in its statement that the burial will be held Sunday afternoon after prayers are held, which comes two weeks after Saadi was shot dead in the camp.
Relatives of the victim had been holding protests and had refused to bury the body until the alleged fugitive killer, Mohammad al-Arqoub, is handed in.
Within the agreement, Palestinian leadership promised to release a statement condemning the incident that names the alleged killer and pledges to pursue, arrest and “deliver him to justice,” the committee’s statement said.
The leadership has delivered on the first part of the agreement, having released that statement, though the killer remains at large.
The committee said it still reserves the right to “take the necessary measures” in case the killer is not apprehended soon.
Saadi was shot dead at the entrance of the camp’s Safsaf neighborhood on the night of Sept. 15, allegedly by Arqoub, who is believed to be affiliated with fundamentalist Islamist groups. The killing returned security concerns to the camp that has long suffered from incidence of violence.