KSARA, Lebanon: Two roadside bombs targeting a Hezbollah convoy exploded early Friday on the Zahle-Ksara highway in the Bekaa Valley, security sources told The Daily Star. It was the third incident involving explosives of this kind to occur in the area in the past few weeks. Although no casualties were reported, the bombs’ detonation spooked the armed men traveling in the three-vehicle convoy of SUVs. They fired in the air before continuing on their way to the town of Chtaura, sources said.
The bombs, which were placed about 20 meters apart on the road’s tree-planted central divide, blew up a minute apart – the first exploding at 5:20 a.m, before the arrival of a convoy of three SUVs, the sources added.
The second blast went off just after the convoy had passed, prompting the vehicles’ occupants to fire their guns in the air.
Army bomb experts determined two 90-mm anti-tank projectiles were used in the explosives, sources said. A police investigation has been launched.
Earlier this month another roadside bomb exploded in the Bekaa Valley, targeting two vans, which some security sources claimed were transporting Hezbollah fighters to Syria.
Several leaders of Syria’s armed opposition have vowed to retaliate against Hezbollah on Lebanese soil after it decided to fight openly alongside President Bashar Assad’s forces.
A bomb set to explode was also found Sunday near the offices of the Baath Party in Jalala. It was safely detonated by an Army bomb squad.
Military experts told The Daily Star that all three incidents involved primitive bombs, hinting at the nonprofessionalism of their makers.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 29, 2013, on page 3.