Middle East

U.S. hostage rescuers dropped from night sky: Syria activist

BEIRUT/WASHINGTON: It was just after midnight on July 4 when at least two dozen U.S. Delta Force commandos arrived on heavily armed Black Hawk helicopters in Akrishi, a small town near the eastern Syrian city of Raqqa on the bank of the Euphrates River. Before they landed to search for American hostages including journalist James Foley, they destroyed a key target: anti-aircraft weapons at a jihadist base about 5 km southeast of the city, a stronghold of militants seeking to build a monolithic Islamic state.

The above account and other details of the raid have emerged from witnesses who spoke with a member of a Syrian opposition activist group, who identified himself as Abu Ibrahim al-Raqaoui. Raqaoui gave the information to Reuters in an interview via Skype from inside Syria.

His group also posted witness accounts of the raid on Facebook soon after it took place. The posts, which were viewed by Reuters, have since been taken down.

“The raid happened just after midnight,” Raqaoui said. “The helicopters first started destroying anti-aircraft weapons.” Reuters could not verify the account.

The White House publicized details of the raid Wednesday, a day after ISIS jihadists posted a video showing Foley being beheaded.

The White House said the commandos failed to find Foley or other hostages and it was prompted to make the announcement after several U.S. news organizations learned of the operation.

The U.S. military incursion into the heart of ISIS territory, made on U.S. Independence Day, ended in disappointment when the soldiers found no prisoners.

After landing, the commandos blocked the main road to Raqqa and moved toward a makeshift jail believed to hold Foley and other hostages, Raqaoui said. Discovering Foley wasn’t there, they attacked the base, which the militants had named “Bin Laden” after the former Al-Qaeda leader, Osama bin Laden, Raqaoui said. They set it on fire, he added.

“According to villagers, they burned the camp and killed all the ISIS fighters,” he said.

U.S. officials said “many” ISIS fighters were killed and one American soldier was wounded when a helicopter came under fire. Raqaoui’s account puts the number of wounded U.S. soldiers at two.

The mission was authorized by President Barack Obama and based on U.S. intelligence, including information from hostages who have been released, the administration said.

It was the first direct ground engagement between the U.S. and ISIS militants, and the first known U.S. ground operation in Syria since the start of its civil war in 2011.

The raid’s failure to bring hostages home underscores the limits of U.S. intelligence about Syria's chaotic conflict. “We believed we had a good case for where they might be,” a U.S. official said on condition of anonymity.

A Syrian source close to ISIS told Reuters the militants had been tipped off to the planned operation when Americans were seen asking about the hostages in the Turkish city of Antakya, about 20 km from the Syrian border.

“The Americans were looking for their hostages and desperately looking for any information,” said the source person, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity.

“They met people in Antakya and asked questions. Afterward, the operation became expected. [ISISI] anticipated the operation and took precautions. They expected it and that is why they have probably changed the location of the hostages.”

Rami Abdel-Rahman, founder of the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which monitors violence in the Syrian war via a network of activists across the country, said at the time of the operation last month that his activists in Raqqa received a report from a single source close to the ISIS saying there had been a raid in the area by American troops.

“The residents said they heard the noise of aircraft and gunfire but did not know more than that,” he said.

The source close to ISIS had said at the time that some of the Americans had been killed, Abdel-Rahman said. The source said ISIS fighters also had been hurt.

The Committee to Protect Journalists, a U.S. independent group, estimates that two dozen kidnapped journalists, both local and foreigners, remain in Syria, including American Steven Sotloff who was shown at the end of the ISIS video Tuesday.

The militant who killed Foley warned that Sotloff would be next if U.S airstrikes persist.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on August 25, 2014, on page 8.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here