Middle East

UN envoy to Yemen says warring parties increasingly open to peace plan

United Nations (UN) General Secretary Ban Ki-moon (C) speaks next to the UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed on June 15, 2015 during a press conference at the UN offices in Geneva during the opening of Yemen peace talks. AFP PHOTO / FABRICE COFFRINI

GENEVA: The U.N. envoy to Yemen believes his plan to end a four-month conflict that has triggered a humanitarian crisis in Yemen is increasingly gaining acceptance among the warring parties, a U.N. spokesman said Tuesday.

U.N.-led talks in June between northern Houthi rebel fighters and supporters of the government of President Abed Rabbou Mansour Hadi failed to end the war, in which the United Nations says nearly 2,000 civilians have been killed.

A stand-off between the two sides escalated in late March when a Saudi-led Arab coalition began a campaign of airstrikes against the Houthis and their allies, loyalists of former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

On a visit to Cairo, U.N. envoy Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed met the secretary-general of the General People's Congress (GPC) party, which supports Saleh, and Nabil Elaraby, the secretary-general of the Arab League, U.N. spokesman Ahmad Fawzi said.

"He feels his plan is gaining more and more acceptance among the parties. Riyadh has a indicated positive reaction towards the plan, the GPC is considering it positively," he said.

The five days of talks in Geneva produced agreement in principle on a cease-fire and withdrawal of armed forces. The talks broke up before a final deal could be agreed, but Ould Cheikh Ahmed said he remained optimistic.

Fawzi said that after Egypt, Ould Cheikh Ahmed would go to Oman, where he has previously met Houthi representatives, and to Riyadh, home to Hadi's government in exile, and then to New York to brief the U.N. Security Council.

Fawzi denied that Ould Cheikh Ahmed had discussed the possibility of negotiating Saleh's exit from Yemen, but added that Arab League secretary-general Elaraby had told the envoy that the league would consider monitoring a cease-fire in Yemen.

 

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here