Egyptian policemen stand guard outside Dar Al Fouad Hospital, where injured tourists are recovering, in Cairo, Egypt, Sept. 14, 2015. (REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Mexico's foreign minister was to fly to Egypt Tuesday with relatives of the tourists mistakenly killed by Egyptian security forces as her government called for an urgent investigation of the "deplorable event".At least two Mexicans were killed and six missing after their convoy came under attack during an operation Sunday against jihadis in Egypt's vast Western Desert. Mexican Foreign Minister Claudia Ruiz Massieu said late Monday she was heading to Cairo to seek answers from Egyptian authorities, accompanied by relatives of some of the victims and doctors to care for the wounded.A senior tourism ministry official told AFP the incident happened as the tourists were between Cairo and the Bahariya oasis, about 350 kilometers (220 miles) southwest of the capital.Last month, Egypt's branch of ISIS beheaded a young Croatian in the Western Desert who was working for a French company, and ISIS has also attacked security forces there several times. About 10 million tourists visited Egypt in 2014, down sharply from a 2010 figure of almost 15 million.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE