Middle East

Jabhat Fatah al-Sham fighters in Aleppo far fewer than U.N. says

Nusra Front militants carry their weapons during the release of Lebanese servicemen in Arsal, northeastern Lebanon, Dec. 1, 2015. (REUTERS)

GENEVA: The number of Islamist rebels in eastern Aleppo who are not protected by any cessation of hostilities deal, and can therefore be legitimately targeted, is far smaller than an estimate given by the United Nations, diplomatic sources said. Jabhat Fatah al-Sham is one of Syria’s most powerful rebel forces, and under its former name – Nusra Front – was designated as a terrorist group because of links with Al-Qaeda.

Russia, Syria and Iran say Jabhat Fatah al-Sham’s presence in besieged eastern Aleppo justifies their attacks, which began despite a U.S.-Russian cessation of hostilities, but the U.N. has urged them to stop using the group’s presence as an “easy alibi” to bomb the city.

None of them have given estimates of Jabhat Fatah al-Sham numbers in Aleppo.

Last week U.N. Syria envoy Staffan de Mistura said there were a maximum of 900 Jabhat Fatah al-Sham members out of a total 8,000 rebel fighters within the besieged opposition-held area.

Several sources independently told Reuters that de Mistura’s figure for Jabhat Fatah al-Sham fighters was far too high, and the real number was no more than 200, perhaps below 100. One Western diplomat said it possibly had no more than a “symbolic” presence.

“The Russians indicated they wanted to talk about de Mistura’s plan which is to get the rebel fighters out of Aleppo. We are a bit skeptical. De Mistura spoke about 900 fighters from Jabhat Fatah al-Sham, we estimate [the number] at much less,” one senior French diplomatic source said.

The issue will be discussed Saturday when foreign ministers from countries including the United States and Russia, which back opposing sides in the war, gather in the Swiss city of Lausanne for talks aimed at halting the spiraling violence.

De Mistura has offered to personally escort the fighters out of the city in return for a cessation of hostilities observed by all parties. He has already scaled back his estimate.

On Sept. 25, he said that he had information that more than half the fighters in eastern Aleppo were from Jabhat Fatah al-Sham but gave no total figure. Last week he cited a “much more updated analysis,” and he said the 900 figure was “in my opinion, quite reliable.”

His office declined to comment on where he had got the 900 figure from, but quoted remarks he made to a closed-door session of the U.N. Security Council last week: “If Nusra are 900 people, then 900 will have to leave.

“If they are less, then less will leave. We will be actually involved in that. The point is that every Nusra fighter will leave the city and the rest will stay if they want to.”

A Jabhat Fatah al-Sham spokesman did not immediately comment on the number.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on October 15, 2016, on page 8.

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here