World

UN: Crashed helicopter in South Sudan shot down

A United Nations MI-8 helicopter at the airport in Juba, South Sudan December 22, 2013. (AP/UNMISS)

KAMPALA, Uganda: A United Nations helicopter that crashed in South Sudan last month was shot down after a rebel commander alleged that U.N. aircraft were being used to transport government troops, the mission in South Sudan said Tuesday.

Three Russian crewmen were killed and another was wounded on Aug. 26 when the helicopter crashed near the disputed town of Bentiu in Unity state. Experts who concluded the first stage of the investigation had uncovered evidence indicating that the aircraft was shot down, the U.N. mission said in a statement.

Despite the threats to shoot down U.N. aircraft by the rebel commander, Peter Gadet, it was still premature to say who shot down the Mi-8 cargo helicopter, the U.N. mission said.

Gadet alleged during a phone call with a U.N. staffer on Aug. 17 that the U.N. was transporting government forces, allegations the staffer denied, according to the statement. It also said that after Gadet's allegation, the U.N. mission in South Sudan immediately started sharing information on all its flights into Bentiu with the opposition forces and government troops in order to ensure the safety of its aircraft.

Akol Ayom Wek, a spokesman for the governor of the northern Bahr el-Ghazal state, said at the time that Gadet had shot down the helicopter after warning the U.N. not to fly over his territory.

Gadet is one of the South Sudanese military generals who defected after violence broke out in the world's newest country last December. His forces are loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, who is accused by South Sudanese President Salva Kiir of launching a failed coup bid that the government says sparked violence that has killed thousands of people.

The U.N. statement on Tuesday said a technical investigation is being conducted to conclusively determine the source of the ground fire which brought down the helicopter.

The U.N. Security Council condemned the attack, saying those responsible must be held accountable.

 

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here