Kenya says Shabab militants killed in US drone strike in Somalia

An injured man is seen after receiving medical attention, in Mandera, Kenya, Tuesday, July 7, 2015. (AP Photo)

NAIROBI: At least 30 members of Somalia's Al-Qaeda-affiliated Shabab militants were killed in a U.S. drone strike Thursday, the Kenyan government said, while backtracking on its earlier claim that the alleged mastermind of the Garissa University massacre was among the dead.

"Over 30 were killed, among them most wanted terrorists," Kenyan interior ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka said.

He said that "several masterminds" of a string of recent attacks inside Kenya were killed, but retracted his earlier statement that the mastermind of the April Garissa University massacre - Mohamed Mohamud, also known by the aliases of Dulyadin, Kuno and Gamadhere - was also among the dead.

"It was a U.S. drone. Kenyan forces usually provide ground support, information and intelligence on such strikes," the spokesman said.

In April, four Shabab militants massacred 148 people at the Garissa University in Kenya's northeast, in what was the group's deadliest single attack to date. Most of the victims were students.

They have also conducted a string of attacks across northeastern Kenya, from Mandera in the far north to the Lamu region on the coast.

The United States has in recent years launched numerous drone strikes against Shabab leaders, including a strike last September that killed the group's leader Ahmed Abdi Godane.

Thursday's reported drone attack came just over a week before U.S. President Barack Obama is due in Kenya for his first visit to the country since he became president.

Sources in Somalia confirmed an overnight airstrike had taken place in a Shabab area of the war-torn country.

According to traditional elders near Bardhere town in the southern Gedo region, at least two missiles struck vehicles believed to be carrying Shabab commanders.

"We heard two big explosions and the information we are getting indicates that vehicles were targeted close to a Shabab military base," said Abdiwahab Ali, an elder at a village close to the scene.

"Village residents are telling us a missile fired from an aircraft struck a vehicle and a nearby military camp belonging to Shabab," said Hassan Gesle, another elder.

Immediately after the attack the mobile phone network in Bardhere was cut off, making it impossible to reach Shabab commanders for comment.

Ahmed Bare, Somali military officer in nearby Elwaq town, said that Shabab commanders have been leaving Bardhere, one of the few towns still held by the militants, ahead of a planned ground assault by Somali troops.





Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (

comments powered by Disqus



Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here